Connect Home Connect Home

Group discussion > integration of E17 to openSUSE

integration of E17 to openSUSE

Tomáš Čech
3136 days ago

Hi,

you may notice that EFL and E17 is slowly getting into factory. I'd like to ask you to test packages, report bugs and help as you can.

Update:

Instead of duplicating list here, please visit our Portal.

Tomáš Čech
3125 days ago

2. Sent me the po file to translate it. Just for information, you can create the mo file with poedit (personally I like and use gtranslator).

You can also use Lokalize (I use that one).

Also

• must create a Portal at wiki

Agreed, I'll add it into the list. Volunteers are welcome on this!

Regarding report bugs, is there a place to report? Please either create a wiki page or maybe write it here (as new discussion).

http://bugs.opensuse.org is good start. If the usptream is affected by the same problem (i.e. not packaging or openSUSE issue), you can use http://trac.enlightenment.org. For me gather these informations:

• packages are from openSUSE:Factory, X11:Enlightenment:Factory or X11:Enlightenment:Nightly
  • output of `zypper -sr <your_enlightenment_repository>' to figure out which package versions are installed
  • attach ~/.xsession-errors

This should go to wiki too.

Tomáš Čech
3121 days ago

Fight against openSUSE security team for audit of E17's suid binaries takes place in bugzilla - https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=792928

Tomáš Čech
3120 days ago

Nightly repo was in unusable state thanks to new ecore integration but it should be working after build is finished.

Packages should also protect dependencies, so EFL libraries cannot be mixed between Factory and Nightly repo. Have fun

Efstathios Iosifidis
3120 days ago

I turned from Nightly to Factory and it works.

martinrehm
3118 days ago

So did I,  before nightly repo allways was good for me, even did not know that there is another repo, must be something recent, or?

Tomáš Čech
3118 days ago

Currently they work in two SVN branches simultaneously, one - 1.7 is mean to be used for Enlightenment 17 release and only bugfixes can get there, new EFL releases are made from there and goes to Factory (so this is for stabilisation of EFL+E17 release).

Trunk on the other hand is accepting any improvements so the development is there. It is almost always broken these days because of merge of EFL libraries into 1 library. For buildservice is this change really huge improvement because in one build, in one chroot already 6 libraries are compiled at the same time. For short packages like EFL is preparing chroot environment + rpmlint checks about third of whole compilation time :)

After this merge is complete, Nightly repository will be as good as was before. Please, be patient.

So, both repositories are recent and both repositories have its purpose.

Tomáš Čech
3117 days ago

Mandriva build of EFL finally fixed in Nightly. Fixed edje package for Factory and resubmitted all remaining packages.

Agust17
3103 days ago

Well , Current integration with Gnome is very ugly and Apps Qt? .
The E17 is better integrated with LXDE, sure.

It's just a thought in my head.

Tomáš Čech
3102 days ago

Well , Current integration with Gnome is very ugly and Apps Qt? .
The E17 is better integrated with LXDE, sure.

You're talking about function or about appearance? I didn't do or plan to do any step with window looks unification. If you're interested in that, you have to do it by yourself.

If there is OTOH any functional problem, please, tell me about that or submit bug report.

Thanks.

Agust17
3102 days ago

No Tomas, I'm talking about when installing openSUSE and want to use Enlightenment, LXDE is installed, instead of Gnome, only that, forgive me for not explaining well, sorry.

Just a suggestion, I'm sorry I bothered, will not happen again.

Agust

Tomáš Čech
3102 days ago

Np. If you'll check Todo list on portal, you can see that patching installer is there, but after making room on DVD. When E17 is not present on medium, there is not much sense in having E17 as option or need some more hacking. I'd rather get E17 into DVD. Currently we're in the middle of process of accepting packages to Factory. I hope that after Christmas legal-team will awake again :)

Efstathios Iosifidis
3102 days ago

That would be great if it goes as install option on DVD!!!

martinrehm
3096 days ago

or even a live-cd, that would be good way.

What I miss in opensuse-integration most is the inclusion of YaST.

I find all the yast-modules on >main menu >others, but only a few modules are available, the ones you can run without root-privileges.

There is no way to open the other, saying that only these are available.

To run yast, I have to type in terminal >su >root-password >yast2 , then yast starts with root-privileges.

A solution for this should be also on todo-list.

Hi there, wish you all a lot of pleasure in 2013!

Martin 

Tomáš Čech
3096 days ago

What I miss in opensuse-integration most is the inclusion of YaST.

I find all the yast-modules on >main menu >others, but only a few modules are available, the ones you can run without root-privileges.

There is no way to open the other, saying that only these are available.

To run yast, I have to type in terminal >su >root-password >yast2 , then yast starts with root-privileges.

A solution for this should be also on todo-list.

Good idea, please, add Todo item into list.

or even a live-cd, that would be good way.

Creating LiveCD/DVD needs the same work to be done as integration to openSUSE + some additional work. When we'll have integration, we can build LiveCD/DVD with studio or kiwi configuration easily.

martinrehm
3095 days ago

Ha!

I would not trust a e17/opensuse-live-cd from studio!

I just loaded a bunch with lxde, since it is not more in opensuse-official-repo, and all  has been crap!

It is ok, with /factory-repo, /nightly-repo I did not watch for a month, but stuff should come from official repos!

Keep on, a live-cd is all we need to get it public, no libre-office etc gimp-stuff, only basics

Tomáš Čech
3095 days ago

I would not trust a e17/opensuse-live-cd from studio!

Why? It's just some sugarsweet WebUI to kiwi configuration with some optimizations. It's up to you what you'll do with that. And I believe that most of work is done in packagement anyway...

If you're interested in this, feel free to do it. You can start your own project, you can help Robert with Petite Linux.

It is ok, with /factory-repo, /nightly-repo I did not watch for a month, but stuff should come from official repos!

I'd like to have your faith in openSUSE official repos :)

Efstathios Iosifidis
3095 days ago

Martin, you should try Petite (https://sites.google.com/site/petitelinux/) and help him with the project.

Tomas, the names factory and nightly confuse people. I mean we're used that factory is the testing repo. But in our case, factory is the stable one.

Tomáš Čech
3095 days ago

Tomas, the names factory and nightly confuse people. I mean we're used that factory is the testing repo. But in our case, factory is the stable one.

Nightly means (optimistically :) nightly builds. I updated project description so it won't be so confusing. If you have any suggestion, please tell me.

Factory is usual name of devel project for packages. It was called Released, but the name changed to respect usual devel project naming scheme. It is meant to be the most stable we have and should be the source for openSUSE:Factory.

We have no testing as it wasn't needed yet.

Again, if you have some improvements to propose, please tell me.

martinrehm
3094 days ago

PetiteLinux seems to be dead, I read something about this, maybe here?

Again, hope not to bother: why not a live cd, minimalistic opensuse, bare stuff, including a working networkmanager like that from gnome, or kinternet, or at least wvdial, not econnman

I never would load down a DVD, my traffic here is too slow, I do not know anybody who had downloaded a DVD.

Only live-cds, what you need more, you get from the net.

In that way, I think bodhilinux did it very well; and for sure a big part of growing interesse in e17 is on their part.

Martin 

Tomáš Čech
3093 days ago

Again, it's up to you, what network management system will you use. I'm creating openSUSE profile, which will lack ConnMan module loaded at all (along with cpufreq module, iBar and maybe more). It's just not done yet. If you have problem with NetworkManager, please, fill bug report.

Robert - guy behind Petite Linux - is helping us with his knowledge to improve our packages so he can use them for the next Petite Linux release. So it may seem to be dead, but it is the time between releases. You can talk to him on IRC #opensuse-e channel at freenode server.

And again, if you want working live CD, you need working packages. I'm working on that part and on all integration.

And note - I haven't downloaded DVD for years now. You can do almost full network installation (you need just installation kernel+initrd) and any bootloader installed. During installation I select only packages I need, no extra data is downloaded.

I haven't tried BodhiLinux, but I have seen many screenshots and videos and yes, it is impressive how far they get. openSUSE may get there too, but there is a lot of work to be done. We have completely different position because we need to fulfill policies, standards of openSUSE to push E17 into distribution, BodhiLinux has E17 as a goal and the work done is aimed in that direction.

If you're so interested in Live system and doesn't want to spend on that more than 2 hours, create your own image in SUSE Studio. It's really easy.

martinrehm
3093 days ago

Thank you Tomas, for your advices.

I just tried a net-install, but there is no support for 3G-UMTS-Modems, so I gave up.

Any advice about this?

Martin 

Efstathios Iosifidis
3093 days ago

By the way, everytime I update, I must run the commands:

chown root /usr/lib/enlightenment/modules/cpufreq/linux-gnu-i586-0.17.0/freqset

chmod u+s,a+x /usr/lib/enlightenment/modules/cpufreq/linux-gnu-i586-0.17.0/freqset

Is that a bug or something or it's my installation?

Tomáš Čech
3093 days ago

As I already said, it is consequence of openSUSE security audit. We're not allowed to ship binaries with SUID bit set in our package if we want to get our package into openSUSE:Factory project (and thus to 12.3 and following versions of openSUSE release).

The two commands will fix required SUID bit for you locally.

Run that and you won't be bothered till the next update or unload cpufreq module from E17. For our users I'll ommit this module in default profile until we have some better fix in the module code.

Maybe we should create also 'Known problems' section in Portal?

martinrehm
3092 days ago

Create this, would be helpful.

I had the same messages like Efstathios, ignoring them.

Btw, yesterday I had do a print-job with my hp-printer, one of these low-coast-3-in-1,

result printing from e17 was much better than from KDE, more colorfull, more brilliant

A good experience.

Tomáš Čech
3087 days ago

That probably wasn't related to E17 :)

Tomáš Čech
3087 days ago

E17 reached openSUSE:Factory!